It’s Friday, and in the name of Socktober, I’m sharing some of the awesome sock projects I have seen in Ravelry lately.
Because Ravelry relies on Flickr for photo uploading, I can share some of the eye catching photos that have jumped out at me while perusing the site!
1. Another Monkey, 2. fancy monkey :: corded rib cuff, 3. Widdershins, 4. Widdershins Toes, 5. Child’s First Sock, 6. Child’s First Sock, 7. finished Charade Socks, 8. Charade Socks, 9. RPMs, 10. RPMs, 11. Spring Fling Inside Out Socks 4, 12. InsideOut, 13. Inside Out socks, 14. Ankh socks –Finished!, 15. Baudelaire Socks, 16. waving lace toes, 17. Wave Lace Socks, 18. Waving Lace Socks, 19. Broadripple Socks, 20. Broadripple socks, 21. Thuja Socks, 22. Thujas, 23. sean’s socks, 24. profile, 25. Criss Cross Applesauce, 26. Colors by Kaffe Fassett, 27. Hedera Socks, 28. hedera, 29. socks, 30. sock, 31. JW close up, 32. Monkeys detail, 33. monkey leg, 34. pomatomus, 35. embossed leaves finished, 36. Jaywalking Flamingos
These photos were collected while browsing the top twenty socks rated on the Ravelry site at the moment. Because I love a good list, I thought I might share it here with others who may still be waiting for their golden email ticket. The current top twenty are:
1. Monkey by Cookie A. from Knitty, Winter 2006
2. Jaywalker by Grumperina from MagKnits, September 2005
3. Pomatomus by Cookie A. from Knitty, Winter 2005
4. Embossed Leaves by Mona Schmidt from Favorite Socks
5. Basic Sock Recipe by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee from Knitting Rules!
6. Wendy’s Generic Toe-Up Sock by Wendy Johnson from Wendy Knits!
7. Hedera by Cookie A. from Knitty, Spring 2006
8. Basic Sock Pattern by Ann Budd from The Knitter’s Handy Book of Patterns
9. Garter Rib by Charlene Schurch from Sensational Knitted Socks
10. Thuja by Bobby Ziegler from Knitty, Winter 2005
11. Broadripple by Rob Matyska from Knitty, Summer 2003
12. Universal Toe-Up Sock Formula by Amy Swenson from Knitty, Summer 2006
13. Baudelaire by Cookie A. from Knitty, Summer 2006
14. Waving Lace Socks by Evelyn A. Clark from Favorite Socks
15. Roza’s Socks by Grumperina from Interweave Knits, Spring 2007
16. Inside Out by Kaci Kyler Hays from Blue Moon Fiber Arts
17. rpm by Aija Goto from Knitty, Summer 2006
18. Widdershins by Brooke Chenoweth Creel from Knitty, Summer 2006
19. Child’s First Sock in Shell Pattern by Nancy Bush from Knitting Vintage Socks
20. Charade by Sandra Park from I May Be Knitting A Ranch House
Whew. Felt like an Emmy nomination list there for a moment. Also, if none of these patterns satisfy you, there are over 2100 others to browse in the site database.
I think it will be most interesting to look back at this in a year and see what is still popular, and what isn’t. Or even in a few weeks when more people are able to upload their project information to Ravelry. At least I know why the Monkey sock photos have been popular around here lately-the madness is not just my imagination! According to the stats, 1813 projects have been started on this pattern. And I may or may not have added to that with the *ahem* ninth pair I cast on last night! This list has also convinced me to revisit the Pomatomus pattern with some new yarn I picked up the other day. Oh, the inspiration!